1. Library Services for the Visually Impaired
- Provide a collection of Braille and talking books/periodicals for loan to our visually impaired users. Our collection includes textbooks, reference books and materials for leisure reading; and they are on different subjects, such as rehabilitation, education, social science, language, literature, humanities, science, technology and recreation, etc.;
- Provide a collection of music CDs, DVDs, VCDs and video tapes for loan to our service users;
- Provide different kinds of adaptive technical aids and software, to facilitate our visually impaired users to enjoy easy access to information and the library materials;
- Arrange local and overseas inter-library loan services for our service users.
2. Tele-digital Library Services
Our tele-digital library provides 24-hour access to the voice-based library catalogue, talking books, periodicals, newspapers, supermarket sales items information, leisure and cultural activities, etc. Our visually impaired users can access the aforesaid information either through our hotline or our website.
The telephone lines are sponsored by the Hong Kong Telecommunications (HKT) Limited and The Community Chest of Hong Kong respectively.
3. Audio Description Services for the Visually Impaired
Audio Description is the art of making visual images accessible to those who are blind or have low vision, by using precise language to describe the visual images which are not accessible to the visually impaired. We facilitate our service users to have an equal opportunity to participate in ordinary cultural and leisure activities by providing audio description in screenings, dramas, performing arts, exhibitions, visits, outings, etc.
These services are sponsored by The Swire Group Charitable Trust and Service Development Fund respectively.
4. Cultural and Leisure Activities
In order to enhance our visually impaired service users’ abilities to appreciate arts and cultural activities, and to widen their exposure, we arranged talks on different interests and facilitate them to attend different kinds of art performance.
5. Netshare for the Visually Impaired
Netshare for the Visually Impaired (available in Chinese only) is a website that provides online news, periodicals and other information that are of interests to the visually impaired.